Peshawar High Court orders no load-shedding during Sehri, Iftar

Peshawar High Court directed the Peshawar Electric Supply Company not to carry out load-shedding during Sehri and Iftar in the month of Ramazan on Tuesday.

The court issued a five-page written verdict on a petition filed against unannounced electricity load-shedding in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P).

According to the ruling, Peshawar Electric Supply Company (PESCO) must take concrete steps to eliminate unannounced load-shedding. If outages are unavoidable, the company has been ordered to issue a transparent schedule.

The court said all possible measures should be taken to end load-shedding and instructed PESCO and other relevant parties to ensure implementation of the 2014 judgment of the Supreme Court of Pakistan regarding electricity generation and distribution.

Read: Ramazan likely to begin on Feb 19: Suparco

The verdict noted that the petition was filed by three lawyers seeking orders to end load-shedding.

During proceedings, PESCO’s counsel challenged the court’s jurisdiction, arguing that a relevant appellate tribunal exists to hear such matters. However, the court observed it could not ignore ground realities, particularly the power shortage in Pakistan’s energy sector.

It said issuing orders for a 24-hour uninterrupted electricity supply was not practicable in the current circumstances, adding that it is the responsibility of distribution companies to avoid unannounced outages.

The court further directed PESCO and all concerned parties to ensure electricity supply, particularly during Ramadan.

The Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO) on Friday said the first day of the holy month of Ramazan was likely to fall on February 19. In a press release issued last week, the commission said the new moon of Ramazan was to be born on February 17 at 5.01pm.

Similar Posts